Connecticut Department of Public Safety
Division of State Police
Special Licensing & Firearms Unit
Effective March 21, 2005: Photo opportunities will be available at the following locations but not on a state or federal holidays:
Troop locations will be closed during inclement weather. No appointments necessary.
Troop C in Tolland
1320 Tolland Stage Road
Tolland, Conn. 06084
Tel. (860) 896-3271
1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month, 8:30 - 12:00 & 12:30 - 4:00 p.m.
Troop G in Bridgeport (Closed Monday)
149 Prospect Street
Bridgeport, Conn. 06604
Tel. (203) 696-2532
T-W-F-S 8-12 & 12:30- 4 p.m. Thurs. 11-1:30 & 2-7 p.m.
Troop E in Montville
I-395 (between Exits 79 & 79A)
Montville, Conn. 06382
Tel. (860) 848-65392nd and 4th Monday of the month, 8:30 - 12:00 & 12:30 - 4:00 p.m.
Troop L - Litchfield
452 Bantam Road
452 Bantam Road
Litchfield, Conn. 06759
Tel. (860) 567-6814
1st and 3rd Monday of the month, 8:30 - 12:00 & 12:30 - 4:00 p.m.
At DPS Headquarters in Middletown @ the Special Licensing & Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road (1st floor, left side of elevators) Middletown, Connecticut 06457
Tel. (860) 685-8290 - Monday through Friday between 8:30 AM and 4:15 PM
Directions: I-91 N or S exit 20 – Turn left at stop sign and follow signs to Dept. of Public Safety.
1. Check the information shown, draw a line through any incorrect data and print the correction legibly.
2. Sign the application in the presence of an official when your photo is taken at one of the two locations provided above. Mail-in photos will be returned and will delay the renewal process.
3. Provide proof of citizenship such as birth certificate, voter’s registration card or U.S. Passport.
4. Bring the renewal application and the $35.00 fee. (Check or money order only, payable to DPS)
5. Legal Alien Residents need to provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency.
6. Naturalized citizens require proof of citizenship.
7. Security Officer’s (Blue Cards/Class 1) and Bail Enforcement Agent (Gold Cards/Class 2) firearms permits will require an additional $31.00 fee payable to DPS.
(REMINDER: There is a 90-day grace period after expiration.)
Out of State Applicants Only (Non-Residents)
(Renewals) Mail-ins are permitted from out-of-state-applicants with an attached color passport photograph (18% gray scale background – those not in compliance will be returned) with a notarized signature on the Form DPS-129-C mailed to Headquarters. Notary must sign at bottom of form, so as not to interfere with the signature or photograph of the applicant. ($35.00 Check or money order only, payable to DPS) Legal Alien Residents need to provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency within their state and naturalized citizens require proof of citizenship.
1. Complete the enclosed application (DPS-799-C, DPS-164-C & DPS-129-C) and sign in the presence of an official when your photo is taken.
2. Submit a letter or certificate attesting that you have completed an approved course in the safety and use of pistols/revolvers. This must be signed by one of the following; an N.R.A. certified pistol instructor, a DEP certified instructor, or a state certified firearms instructor.
3. Submit a complete set of fingerprints with the application fee. ($35.00 check or money order only, payable to DPS)
4. When applicable, criminal and/or mental health records must be submitted (C.G.S 29-36g).
DPS-769-C (Rev. 03/05) SEE IMPORTANT NOTICES -- REVERSE SIDE
Pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes, Sections 29-28, 29-32, 29-36f and 29-36I and Federal Public Law 104-208, s. 658: applications covered by these instructions will not be issued or be renewed, if:
You have a FELONY CONVICTION in any jurisdiction;
You have a MISDEMEANOR CONVICTION in Connecticut of one of the following crimes:
1. Illegal possession of controlled or hallucinogenic substances, as specified under C.G.S. 21a-279 (c)
2. Criminally negligent homicide - 53a-58
3. Assault in the third degree - 53a-61
4. Assault of a victim 60 or older in the third degree - 53a-61a
5. Threatening- 53a-62
6. Reckless endangerment in the first degree - 53a-63
7. Unlawful restraint in the second degree - 53a-96
8. Riot in the first degree - 53a-175
9. Riot in the second degree - 53a-176
10. Inciting to riot - 53a-178
11. Stalking in the second degree - 53a-181d
Or you were CONVICTED of a MISDEMEANOR CRIME of DOMESTIC VIOLENCE:
This means an offense that (1) is a misdemeanor under federal or state law; and (2) has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse, parent or guardian of the victim, or by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, or by a person who is cohabiting with or who has cohabited with the victim or spouse, parent, or guardian, or by any person similarly situated to a spouse, parent or guardian of the victim.
You were discharged from custody within the preceding 20 years after having been found NOT GUILTY OF A CRIME BY REASON OF MENTAL DISEASE OR DEFECT 53a-13.
You were CONFINED TO A HOSPITAL for any psychiatric disability (17a-495) within the preceding 12 months by order of a judge of a probate court.
You are subject to a RESTRAINING ORDER or PROTECTIVE ORDER issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force.
You are now subject to a Firearms Seizure Order issued pursuant to Public Act 99-212 Sec. 18, prohibiting possession of firearms.
You are an ILLEGAL ALIEN in the United States.
You are UNDER the AGE of 21 years.
You have renounced your United States citizenship.
You have been discharged from the Armed Forces under a dishonorable condition.
You are prohibited by Federal Law Section 922 (g) or (n) of Title 18 of the United States Code.
If you are in any of the above categories of persons, you should not file an application as it will be denied and your application fee may not be returned.
If you have any questions regarding your status, please inquire at the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit in person or by telephoning the following number: (860) 685-8290